Sleep Disorder

How To Treat Problems With Your Sleep

Insomnia is a sleep disorder, where you have difficulty falling asleep, sleeping or having a good sleep. One American in four experiences insomnia each year, yet luckily, around 75 percent of these individuals recover without developing chronic insomnia, while the other 25 percent progress to acutes insomnia, according to a recent study by the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Sleep disturbances are more common in people over the age of 60 than in younger people. Females also have sleep problems twice as often as males. There are many possible causes of insomnia, including:

  • Emotional Stress
  • Mental Health Disorders, such as depression or anxiety
  • Excessive Alcohol Intake
  • Restless Leg Syndrome
  • Chronic Pain
  • Allergies
  • Asthma
  • Heavy Smoking
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Heartburn
  • Menopause
  • Heart Failure
  • Circadian Rhythm Disruptions, such as jet lag or working night shifts
  • Sleep Apnea
  • Certain Medications
  • Caffeine

Sleeplessness is terrible, painful, and irritating. Many people use over-the-counter or prescription sleeping pills that can help make sleep better while you are sleeping. Nevertheless, insomnia usually comes back when they are stopped because treatments do not cure the underlying causes of insomnia.

Melatonin is a natural sleep hormone marketed in addition. It is beneficial in case of sleep disturbances and jet lag. People who report that melatonin does not function frequently take a dose of several grams too high. Very often enough, as little as 300 mcg. Take the lowest dosage until you rising the dose. The “timed release” melatonin is also good because it will allow you to sleep longer. Melatonin does not, however, always address the underlying causes of insomnia.

The effective approach to insomnia is improving sleep hygiene and changing lifestyle in tandem with cognitive behavioral therapy. Decades of research have shown that this technique is very effective in the treatment of insomnia.

We shall discuss these strategies in greater detail below.

  • Using the bed just for sex and sleep. Avoid television, job, read, play video games or speak on the telephone. If you can sleep by reading a book or watching TV, set a time trip to shut off the light or TV after 30 minutes.
  • When you can’t sleep for 30 minutes or you wake up during the night and can’t sleep back within the night, get up, go to another room, or stay in bed and enjoy a relaxing and soothing activity, like reading a book or watching TV until you feel drowsy. Don’t lie tossing and turning in bed.

Factors of lifestyle

  • Engage every day in some form of physical activity. Besides going to the fitness center, you can also do things such as car washing, cutting the lawn with a nonriding mower, raking leaves, escalating stairs, running, uphill walking, etc. Both exercises can be split into several short sessions, which should be for a total of 30 minutes per day. It is however best not to work up to 3 hours before bedtime.
  • Get some exposure to sunlight during the day. If you work inside, take a coffee break or lunch time out. It helps control the production of melatonin in the body (sleep hormone) and promotes sleep. It will also improve your mood and strength.
  • Drinking 1-2 cups of coffee at dawn probably won’t affect sleep at night. But you should avoid caffeine in the afternoon if you don’t sleep well.
  • When you drink alcohol, please drink at least 2 hours before bedtime. Nightcaps are not insomnia treatment. Alcohol makes it easier to sleep but lightens and splits it. It also prevents deep sleep and aggravates snoring and sleep apnea.

Link of Food & Sleep

  • Foods high in complex carbohydrates (e.g. peas, beans, oats, quinoa, brown rice) have a slight sleep-friendly effect as it increases serotonin, a sleep-friendly brain neurotransmitter.
  • Remove foods that cause heartburn or digestive distress.
  • Research has shown that vitamin B deficiencies can affect sleep. Take a complicated B supplement if you believe that your diet can lack nutrients.
  • Foods high in protein suppress the sleep of serotonin by blocking it.

I hope we can all say goodnight to insomnia by incorporating healthy sleep habits and making lifestyle changes and cognitive behavioral therapy!